Friday, November 4, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

During one of my many trips to Target this week, I couldn't help but notice all of the Christmas items that are now for sale!  Being that Christmas is my favorite holiday, and I enjoy decorating for it every year... I of course started thinking about all I have to do!  Since we are in a new house, I have no idea where all of my "decorations" will go!!  It is going to be so much fun, and I am so excited!

I decided that I wanted to do a project today, and I thought something pretty easy would be to convert my neutral wreath on the front door to a Christmas wreath!  So, off to JoAnn's I headed!
I had an idea in mind, so I purchase some red and green burlap fabric which was very inexpensive.  I only purchased an 1/8 of a yard, so I mean it when I say it was very inexpensive!  I had some buttons at home, as well as straight pins... so I was done with my shopping list!  As I roamed around the store I found some Christmas ribbon that I am IN LOVE with!!  It is fabric ribbon and of course it is wired... a antique Christmas plaid theme... LOVE!!  It was 40% off and I also had a coupon for 10% off my total craft purchase!

I headed home and began creating my vision!
I started cutting out leaves in red and green and attempted to sew them together... FLOP!!!
It is next to impossible to sew burlap, because the fabric just comes apart!

Plan B...
I cut a whole flower out of the burlap... one small and one large!  

Then I cut out a leave flower, and layered them.  

I placed the button in the middle, and pushed straight pins with yellow heads through the button holes and into the wreath.  That held all 3 layers of the poinsetta on as well.  I wanted to have a slight variation in color on the 2 red layers of the flower, so I inked one layer on each flower with off white ink. 

I just layed the flowers on newspaper and pressed the ink pad over the burlap.  

I used some of my new favorite ribbon to make a bow, at the top of the wreath, and tried something new by affixing the tails of the bow to the sides of the wreath!  I like the way it looks, however, I dont think I am finished!  I plan to grab a couple of add ons on my next visit to the craft store! 

Ribbon $7.80 (150 ft of fabric ribbon)
Burlap  $.99 (1/8 of yard in 2 colors, burlap was $3.99/yard)
Total for this project...  $8.80 (minus my 10% off total coupon is right at 8 bucks!!)

 - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment