Friday, December 9, 2011

Holiday Guests...

The holiday season is really here!  Many of you may have had guests staying with you over Thanksgiving, and some of you may have guests coming for Christmas.  I thought I would mention a few of the "budget friendly" ideas that I use when we have company, to make them feel special!

I like to make sure that my guests feel at home.  There are a few things that I have learned about hosting company, many of which I learned from my fabulous Aunt Melissa!! 


This is our guest room!  I love this room... and Derik wishes it was our room!
A few highlight items that make a great statement, and cost next to nothing are...

Put a heavy blanket on the bottom of the bed.
Most of us have extra blankets, quilts, or comfortors.  They don't have to match!  Not every guest that stays with you will like the temperature at which you keep your home!  The comforter on our bed is light weight, and I used an old comforter which is much heavier on the end of the bed.  Now everyone can sleep at the temperature they prefer!

Use sheer curtains on the windows.
Again, not everyone likes a dark room or a lit room when they sleep.  I feel the sheer curtains, allow enough light in the room for people who like it dimly lit, and closing them does actually make the room darker for those who like a dark room.  Sheer curtains are usually very inexpensive, and these came from the clearance section at Wal-Mart!  I think I paid $3 a panel!  
Leave out towels & washcloths.

This is something that is so simple to do, and actually makes people feel special!  I found a tray that we got several years ago and never could find a purpose for in the top of a closet!  I use this tray on the end of the bed to set out towels and washcloths for each guest that is staying!  When I have one guest coming, I leave one towel, one washcloth, and one hand towel on the tray.  When I have two guests coming, I leave 2 towels, 2 washcloths, and one hand towel on the tray.  This way they guests have what they need when it is time to shower, and they know that the hand towel is clean!
In addition to the towels, I leave a chocolate for each guest on the arrangement!  It is the icing on the cake, and really makes every guest feel like they are being pampered!  I wait for bags of the Lindor or Godiva truffles to go on sale, and I will purchase 1 or 2!  Guests don't come THAT frequently, so I don't go through the bag that quickly! 

Keep a stash of guest toiletries!
This has been incredibly easy to do, and very inexpensive!
Anytime you visit a hotel, keep the toiletries that you are given!  Keep your stash in a box, along with a few extra toothbrushes, travel tubes of toothpaste, disposable razors, and travel bottles of shaving cream!  You can get most of those items for a $1 in the "travel section" at Target!  I put out a Shampoo, Conditioner, and Lotion... and once they have been used... I replace them!  It's not often that someone stays with us and needs something, but when they do... we are prepared!


Create a place to hang their towels.
I found these "H" hooks in the $1 section at Michaels!  I picked out some scrapbook paper, traced it, cut it out and glued it to the H!  I printed out a HIS and HERS sign on the computer, and made them a little snazzy with a bow and a few buttons... and BAM!  SO EASY, and SO CHEAP!  

However, when guests come they now have a place to hang their bath towels, and it is in their space. 



I have a few other ideas that I plan to implement in the future, but for now... this system works!  My guests seem to enjoy their stay, and we enjoy having them!  
I hope you have a GREAT Christmas holiday with all of your guests!

 - Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Speaking from someone that has stayed... it's very nice. I have even found a bottle of my favorite wine on my bed instead of a chocolate... score!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you enjoy your stays, momma!!

    ReplyDelete